Arab League deputy secretary general has said that efforts are underway to formulate a four-point plan aimed at ending months of unrest in Syria.
Ahmed Ben Helli says the plan calls for a stop to violence so that talks can be held between all parties involved.
He says those talks would evaluate a transition in order for the demands of the Syrian people to be met.
The Arab League official, however, did not say which countries or groups are engaged in formulating the plan.
On Monday, UN-Arab League envoy to Syria Lakhdar Brahimi urged an immediate ceasefire which “would help create an environment that would allow a political process to develop.”
Brahimi has been on a regional tour aimed at finding a solution to the Syrian crisis since last week, which has took him to Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Iran and Iraq. The international envoy is currently in the Egyptian capital, Cairo.
During his visit to Tehran, Brahimi held talks with President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi and Secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council Saeed Jalili and called on Iran to help achieve a ceasefire in Syria during the four-day Eid al-Adha (Feast of Sacrifice) starting October 25. Syria has been experiencing unrest since mid-March 2011. Many people, including large numbers of security forces, have been killed in the violence.
Western states have been calling for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to step down, but Iran, Russia, and China are strongly opposed to the Western drive to oust Assad.
The Syrian government says that the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country, and there are reports that a very large number of the armed militants are foreign nationals, mostly from Egypt, Algeria, Saudi Arabia, and Afghanistan.