Israel will stop its military operation in the Gaza Strip after the Palestinian group Hamas stops its attacks on Israeli targets, a spokesman for the Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told RIA Novosti on Tuesday.
“The [Israeli military] operation will stop when they stop firing,” Alex Selsky said.
The ceasefire will be publicly declared at 9 p.m. Tuesday local time and come into effect at midnight, Ayman Taha, a spokesman for Hamas, told Reuters, speaking from Cairo.
Earlier on Tuesday, Israeli aviation spread leaflets calling Gaza residents to leave their homes “for their own safety.” The measure was seen by observers as either an indication of an upcoming ground invasion into Gaza or psychological warfare.
The week-long conflict saw Hamas launch more than 650 rockets at Israeli cities, including the capital Tel Aviv, and Israel mount massive airstrikes in retaliation. Three Israelis were killed, and the death toll for Palestinians was reported by local health authorities to exceed 120 on Tuesday.
Israel, which faces parliamentary elections in January, threatened a ground invasion into Gaza in case attacks by Hamas continue. The parties held talks in Egyptian capital Cairo, mediated by Egypt’s leadership, which is supportive of Palestine.