“There are no plans for a medical for the player” says Reds after news of a third party muddies the waters on planned £23m swoop
Liverpool’s big-money bid to land rising star Henrikh Mkhitaryan has been derailed by troubling questions over his ownership.
On Thursday, Russian news agency Tass was reporting the Aremenia international was preparing to fly to Merseyside for a medical.
But official sources within the Anfield giants moved swiftly to dismiss the suggestion, and privately pointed towards growing issues raised during the negotiation process.
Liverpool thought they had secured an agreement with the attacking midfielder’s club Shakhtar Dontesk, for around £23million, but it transpires the Ukrainians only hold a PORTION of his rights.
Shakhtar share ownership with a business group that invested in the player – a situation common at clubs in eastern Europe and South America.
Striking a deal with at least three different parties has proved elusive for Kop manager Brendan Rodgers and his staff, despite their desire to bring one of the most exciting midfielders in Europe to the club as part of their summer reshuffle.
Mkhitaryan was preparing to fly to England for a medical earlier in the week, but those plans were put on hold by the confusion over negotiations.
A spokesman said on Thursday night: “There are no plans for a medical for the player.”
Liverpool WILL conduct a medical on Friday though – that of young Spanish star Luis Alberto, who will complete a move from Seville for an initial fee of around £5m.