Luis Suarez’s Liverpool to Arsenal transfer saga in fresh twist as he denies saying he’ll stay put

0
118

Striker quoted as revealing the fans’ affection had won him over seems to deny making any such statement just hours later

Luis Suarez is due back in Liverpool within the next 24 hours after his transfer saga over his future descended into farce.

The club have heard nothing from Suarez or his camp after a day of claim and counterclaim by the striker.

The Uruguayan, Arsenal’s top target, was even forced to deny he had decided to stay at Anfield and instead still wants to be sold.

Many Reds fans woke on Wednesday to reports from Uruguay that following a summer of bitter complaints about what his contract at Liverpool actually says, Suarez had made a U-turn and was willing to stay on Merseyside.

Newspaper El Observador claimed Suarez told its reporter in Japan, where Uruguay were playing a friendly, “For now, because of all the affections of the people, I will be staying” and might look to sign a new contract.

Later in the day however, after scoring and making a goal in a 4-2 win at the Miyagi Stadium, Suarez apparently backtracked, claiming they were not his words.

“I didn’t say that,” he is quoted as saying. “Maybe someone else did. The main thing is I’m here now with the national team.”

Liverpool’s position remains unchanged.

They are adamant he will not be sold in this window, despite Arsenal offering £40million plus £1.

Principal owner John W Henry has warned it would be “ludicrous” for Liverpool to sell their best player to one of their rivals for a top-four finish.

With the summer window closing on September 2, they would also not have enough time to sign a ­replacement.

Suarez will resume training on his own when he returns to Melwood.

Manager Brendan Rodgers is demanding the player apologises before he is allowed back into the first-team fold.

Rodgers is taking a tough line with the South American – banned for the first six games of the season after biting Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic during a match – because he was unhappy with the forward’s allegations that Liverpool broke a promise made to him last year that he could leave if the team did not reach the Champions League.

Elsewhere, Liverpool have opened talks with Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala about buying their Brazilian forward Willian.

The Reds are targeting Willian after cost-cutting Anzhi indicated they were willing to offload the 25-year-old just eight months after buying him from Shakhtar Donetsk for £32million.

Rodgers wants a marquee signing this summer and has set his sights on Willian after failing to land Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Diego Costa.

The Reds have yet to discuss figures though, and Anzhi would want to recoup most of what they paid for a player who is on about £100,000 a week.

Liverpool are also closing in on Granada’s Brazilian left-back Guilherme Siqueira.

Rodgers wants competition for Jose Enrique in that position and is believed to have offered the La Liga club £5.5m.

Everton boss Roberto Martinez looked at Siqueira, but sources in Spain claim Liverpool are in pole position to sign the 27-year-old, who has joint Italian ­citizenship.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here