A previously unknown jihadist group linked to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) has claimed responsibility for the Duroy Hotel suicide attack in Beirut.
The group calling itself the state of Damascus-Qalamoun said via twitter on Thursday that two ISIL members targeted General Security agents at the hotel in Raouche.
It also vowed to carry out more attacks against Hizbullah and its agents, saying Wednesday’s bombing was just the start.
The Saudi suicide bomber blew himself up at the hotel when he detonated his explosives during a security raid. His accomplice, also a Saudi citizen, survived the blast and is being questioned at hospital.
The General Security agency on Thursday circulated the picture of a Lebanese man, al-Monzer Khaldoun al-Hasan, accused of providing the Duroy Hotel bombers with explosives.
Media reports have said they were plotting to target al-Saha Restaurant in Beirut’s southern suburbs.
Wednesday’s attack was the third suicide bombing in Lebanon in less than a week.
Syria’s civil war has spilled into Lebanon on numerous occasions and inflamed sectarian tensions. A series of car bombs have struck Shiite areas across Lebanon, killing dozens of people.
Sunni militants have claimed responsibility for the attacks to avenge Hizbullah, which has sent its fighters to Syria to help President Bashar Assad’s troops in their fight against the rebels seeking to topple him.