West Ham beat Reds


A review of Saturday’s action in the Barclays Premier League.

An exquisite lob from Diafra Sakho helped earn West Ham just a second Premier League win of the season as Liverpool were outplayed in a 3-1 victory for the home side at Upton Park.

West Ham were 2-0 up after seven minutes as Winston Reid headed in before Diafra Sakho exposed the Reds’ defensive inadequacies once more with a stunning chip.

Mario Balotelli and Adrian were booked following an altercation after the Liverpool striker’s late tackle on the West Ham goalkeeper, who reacted angrily.

Balotelli showed his better side when bringing down the cross which led to Raheem Sterling pulling a goal back for the visitors, but West Ham were by far superior throughout.

Liverpool improved in the second half but, in pressing for an equaliser, were vulnerable at the back and Morgan Amalfitano struck a late third.

A Villa 0 – 3 Arsenal
QPR 2 – 2 Stoke
Burnley 0 – 0 Sunderland
Newcastle 2 – 2 Hull City
West Ham 3 – 1 Liverpool
Swansea 0 – 1 Southampto

Danny Welbeck scored his first goal for Arsenal to help the Gunners end a run of three successive draws in the  Premier League with a 3-0 victory away to Aston Villa.

Three goals in as many first-half minutes gave the win to the Gunners.

Mesut Ozil began the scoring just after the half-hour, with a left-foot shot from Welbeck’s cross.

Then England striker Welbeck headed in his first goal for the Gunners since his move from Manchester United, thanks to an Ozil cross, and an Aly Cissokho own goal made it 3-0 after only 36 minutes.

Papiss Cisse was the saviour for under-pressure Newcastle manager Alan Pardew with two second-half goals in a 2-2 draw at home to Hull.

Tigers forward Nikica Jelavic struck just after the break, and then Mohamed Diame made it 2-0 with 20 minutes to go. But substitute Cisse replied in the 73rd and 87th minutes to salvage a point for the Magpies.

Southampton are up to second after continuing their fine early-season form with a 1-0 win away to 10-man Swansea.

Swansea striker Wilfried Bony was sent off after two first-half bookings, and Victor Wanyama’s first goal for the Saints settled the game in the 80th minute.

Burnley and Sunderland took a point from their goalless stalemate at Turf Moor.

Ashley Barnes came within a whisker of claiming Burnley’s first victory of the season, only to see a late effort deflected against the crossbar.

In the lunchtime kick-off, a late equaliser earned QPR a point in a 2-2 draw at home to Stoke.

Stoke, managed by former QPR boss Mark Hughes, had taken the lead after 11 minutes through Mame Biram Diouf, only for Steven Caulker to level just before the break.

Crouch, who played at QPR as a youngster, looked to have secured victory when he swept home from close range after 51 minutes.

However, with two minutes left, Niko Kranjcar clipped in a fine 20-yard free-kick to earn Harry Redknapp’s men a share of the points.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here