Reds edge thrilling shootout


A review of Tuesday’s action in the Capital One Cup third round as Liverpool beat Middlesbrough 14-13 on penalties.

Liverpool squeezed past Capital One Cup third-round opponents Middlesbrough after an epic 14-13 penalty shootout win, but Arsenal are out of the competition after being downed by a stunning long-range strike from Southampton’s Nathaniel Clyne.

Liverpool, looking to put successive Barclays Premier League defeats behind them, got off to a good start when 17-year-old debutant Jordan Rossiter opened the scoring with a cool finish just 10 minutes in but Boro hit back through Adam Reach, forcing extra-time.

Suso and Chelsea loanee Patrick Bamford then exchanged strikes in the additional half-hour, the latter converting a last-gasp penalty.

There were 30 more spot-kicks to come in an accomplished shootout, Albert Adomah slotting wide to eventually bring an end to proceedings.

Meanwhile, Southampton‘s fine start to the season continued against Arsenal.

The Gunners, who fielded a relatively strong attack alongside an inexperienced back line, went ahead through Alexis Sanchez’s wonderful 14th-minute free-kick but were pegged back when Dusan Tadic slotted home from the penalty spot six minutes later.

Clyne then rifled home from 35 yards following a corner and Ronald Koeman’s hastily rebuilt Saints, who sit second in the Barclays Premier League, held on to a 2-1 win at the Emirates.

Everton were thrashed 3-0 in the all-Premier League tie against Swansea, a result which at least eases a fixture list that is already congested by the Europa League.

Nathan Dyer opened the scoring just before the half-hour mark before Gylfi Sigurdsson doubled the lead in the 65th minute.

Marvin Emnes added the finishing touch in the closing minutes to complete a miserable night in Wales for the Toffees.

Last season’s beaten finalists Sunderland are also out having lost the lead in a 2-1 defeat by Stoke.

Jozy Altidore’s first goal since December had put the Black Cats in front but the Potters had an even more unlikely matchwinner up their sleeve as left-back Marc Muniesa scored his first two goals for the club.

League Two side Shrewsbury followed up their second round win over Leicester with another impressive result, this time turning over in-form Championship side Norwich.

James Collins was the scorer, netting 10 minutes into the second half.

Managerless Cardiff were humbled at home by Bournemouth, going down 3-0 to make it five games without a win.

All three goals came inside 33 minutes, as Charlie Daniels’ effort separated two from Dan Gosling.

Fulham were 2-1 winners over Doncaster, Bryan Ruiz and Dan Burn putting the Cottagers two ahead before James Coppinger hit back.

Theo Robinson missed a penalty that would have brought Rovers level.

Manchester United’s conquerors in the previous round, MK Dons, continued to impress in the competition.

Benik Afobe scored twice against the Red Devils and repeated the feat against the lesser lights of Bradford to seal a 2-0 win.

Derby saw off Championship rivals Reading 2-0, Johnny Russell opening the scoring in the 67th minute before an Alex Pearce own-goal.

Sheffield United got the better of their fellow League One representatives Leyton Orient, Michael Higdon securing a 1-0 victory in the second minute at Brisbane Road.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here