Speaker Nabih Berri has stressed that the road to the dialogue between Hizbullah and al-Mustaqbal is “safe” despite concerns following Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah’s latest speech.
Berri told his visitors on Tuesday that the dialogue has not stopped and will go ahead in implementing the decisions reached between the two parties.
Hizbullah and al-Mustaqbal representatives held their fifth round of talks under Berri’s sponsorship in Ain el-Tineh on Tuesday night.
They issued a terse statement underlining “their rejection of (celebratory) gunfire on all occasions, in all Lebanese regions and under any excuse.”
They also followed up preparations relating to the completion of the security plan in the eastern Bekaa Valley.
“The path to dialogue is safe,” Berri stressed to his visitors in the remarks published in local dailies on Wednesday.
“Nasrallah’s latest stance safeguarded Lebanon,” he stressed.
The Hizbullah leader delivered last week a fiery anti-Israel speech in which he declared that his group “no longer recognizes the rules of engagement” in the conflict with Israel.
His speech was marred by heavy celebratory gunfire that sparked panic among the citizens of Beirut and its suburbs.
It also drew criticism from al-Mustaqbal officials, mainly the parliamentary bloc’s leader MP Fouad Saniora.
On Tuesday, the bloc described Nasrallah’s speech as a “unilateral stance that disregarded the people’s will and breached international resolutions.”
Despite the tension, Berri confirmed to his visitors that all decisions reached at the dialogue table will be implemented, including the removal of party banners and flags in Beirut and several other cities.
“I gave my instructions to officials in Amal Movement to immediately start withe the removal of flags, banners and photos belonging to Amal,” he said.
The speaker added that his followers began implementing his decision although the date for the removal of the political slogans has been set for Thursday.