Arsenal beat Tottenham



Mathieu Flamini struck twice as Arsenal beat north London rivals Tottenham 2-1 in the third round of the Capital One Cup at White Hart Lane.

The French midfielder marked his first appearance of the season with a superb second-half volley to secure bragging rights for Gunners’ fans.

Spurs had mounted a spirited comeback after Flamini’s close-range strike following a fumble by stand-in goalkeeper Michel Vorm, and equalised at the start of the second half when Callum Chambers deflected the ball into his own net.

However, it was Arsenal – beaten at Chelsea in the Barclays Premier League on Saturday – who finished strongly, with Flamini crashing home a fine 25-yard effort after 78 minutes to send the travelling support into raptures.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers’ torturous season continued as they scraped through a tie on penalties against League Two Carlisle.

After Danny Ings’ second goal in as many games for the Reds was cancelled out by Derek Asamoah in the first half to see the scores level at 1-1 after 90 minutes, the match eventually went to spot-kicks where debutant Adam Bogdan was their saviour with three saves.

But the cheer around Anfield as the Hungarian goalkeeper denied Bastien Hery was more relief than anything else.

Lewis McGugan piled further misery on Steve McClaren as Sky Bet Championship Sheffield Wednesday dumped Premier League Newcastle out of the competition.

A Wednesday side featuring 10 changes to the one which started Saturday’s 3-2 victory over Fulham secured a famous 1-0 victory at St James’ Park with the Magpies, who have publicly reversed their recent policy of dismissing the domestic cup competitions as an irrelevance, turning in another dreadful display.

McClaren’s men did not manage a single shot of note on target over 90 soul-sapping minutes and have now won just one of the eight games they have contested so far this season with League Two Northampton their only victims in the last round of the same competition.

Chelsea continued to rebuild their season as they eased past Walsall.

Ramires, Loic Remy and Kenedy, on his full debut, put the visitors in control before Pedro’s late strike secured a comfortable 4-1 win.

The competitive Saddlers pulled a goal back through James O’Connor before half-time but they could not cope with Chelsea’s power as the holders cruised into the fourth round.

Jay Rodriguez, Sadio Mane and Shane Long scored two goals apiece as Southampton coasted into the fourth round with a 6-0 victory at MK Dons.

Rodriguez’s goals were his first domestically in almost 18 months, having only recently returned from a lengthy lay-off with a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament.

He netted for the first time since his comeback against Danish outfit Midtjylland in the Europa League last month but his efforts on Wednesday night were his first strikes in English competition since a Premier League double against Newcastle on March 29, 2014.

The 26-year-old’s brace, his second from the penalty spot, came either side of Mane’s double while Long grabbed his two later in the second half – making it the heaviest defeat in MK Dons’ short history.

Anthony Martial stepped off the bench and scored his fourth goal in four matches as Manchester United strolled into the fourth round with a 3-0 win over Ipswich.

United’s 4-0 defeat to MK Dons in this competition last year is regarded as the worst loss of Dutchman Louis van Gaal’s tenure and there was no way he was going to let Ipswich record a similar result on Wednesday.

The United boss sent out a near full-strength side, and they spared little energy dispatching an Ipswich team that contained 11 changes.

Wayne Rooney scored his first goal in domestic competition this season, taking down Daley Blind’s long pass before beating Ipswich goalkeeper Bartosz Bialkowski.

Andreas Pereira, making his first start, netted his maiden strike for the club – a dipping free-kick from 20 yards – before Martial raced through and prodded the ball home in injury time to continue his excellent start to life at Old Trafford.

Dwight Gayle’s second half hat-trick fired Crystal Palace to a 4-1 win over south London rivals Charlton.

The striker’s treble meant Eagles manager Alan Pardew enjoyed a satisfying night against the team he managed for two years and suffered relegation from the Premier League with in 2007.

But for Alou Diarra it was a nightmare evening, the former France international giving away two penalties before being sent off.

Gayle hammered home both spot-kicks – after Fraizer Campbell opened the scoring – and he nodded in the fourth while Mouhamadou-Naby Sarr pulled one back for Charlton.

Norwich progressed to the fourth round with a convincing 3-0 win against West Brom.

Thoroughly outplaying their Barclays Premier League rivals, second-half goals from Matt Jarvis and Kyle Lafferty and Sebastian Pocognoli’s own goal sealed a deserved victory.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here