Five of the 12 convicts have been sentenced to death in the 2006 serial train blasts case by a special MCOCA court in Mumbai.
Five of the 12 convicts have been sentenced to death while the other seven were given life imprisonment in the 2006 serial train blasts case by a special MCOCA court in Mumbai on Wednesday. The five given the death penalty have been convicted for planting the bombs in Mumbai local trains that killed 189 people.
Speaking to reporters after the quantum of punishment was delivered, Gulzar Azmi of Jamiat-ul Ulema -which provides legal aid to the convicts – said they will move a higher court. “The real culprits were never caught. We will move the High Court now,” he said.
Earlier this month, the special court had convicted 12 people and acquitted one earlier this month in the 7/11 serial bombings that ripped through Mumbai trains after RDX bombs blew up seven peak hour suburban trains on the Western Railway in 11 minutes on July 11, 2006.
Kamal Ahamed Ansari (37), Tanvir Ahmed Ansari (37), Mohd Faisal Shaikh (36), Ehtesham Siddiqui (30), Mohammad Majid Shafi (32), Shaikh Alam Shaikh (41), Mohd Sajid Ansari (34), Muzzammil Shaikh (27), Soheil Mehmood Shaikh (43), Zamir Ahmad Shaikh (36), Naveed Hussain Khan (30) and Asif Khan (38) were convicted while Abdul Wahid Shaikh (34) was acquitted.
Besides claiming 189 lives, the serial blasts left 817 injured on the evening of July 11, 2006, from 6.23 pm onwards – the peak hour when the suburban trains are choked with commuters going home. The seven bombs went off in trains at Matunga Road, Mahim, Bandra, Khar Road, Jogeshwari, Borivali and Mira Road stations spanning Mumbai and Thane districts.
Police had said that highly sophisticated explosives ripped through mainly the first class compartments of the seven local trains, all headed in the northern direction. While two blasts occurred when the crowded trains neared Borivali and Mahim stations, the others took place when they were leaving the stations or while running to their destinations.