Jerusalem attacks kill 3 as wave of violence escalates


A pair of Palestinian men boarded a bus in Jerusalem and began shooting and stabbing passengers, while another assailant rammed a car into a bus station before stabbing bystanders, in near-simultaneous attacks Tuesday that escalated a monthlong wave of violence. Three Israelis and two attackers were killed.
The Jerusalem attacks, along with two stabbings in a central Israeli city, marked the most serious outbreak of violence since the current round of tensions erupted. More than 15 people were wounded.
Police closed major highways leading in and out of Jerusalem, while Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called an emergency meeting of his Security Cabinet, where police were to present a plan to halt the violence. Police spokeswoman Luba Samri said the country’s Internal Security Minister, Gilad Erdan, was considering a number of immediate steps, including sealing off Arab neighborhoods in east Jerusalem, where many of the attackers have come from, and making it easier to get gun licenses.
While Israelis are on edge over the random nature of the attacks, the long-running diplomatic deadlock has left many Palestinians feeling hopeless about their chances of ending nearly half a century of Israeli occupation.
In the bus attack, police said two men, one carrying a gun and the other with a knife, boarded the vehicle and attacked passengers. Police said a 60-year-old man was killed, and a second person who was wounded later died. One of the attackers was shot dead and the second attacker was subdued by a crowd.
Elsewhere in Jerusalem, a Palestinian motorist rammed his vehicle into a crowded bus stop, then got out and began stabbing people. One Israeli was killed, police said. The attacker, who worked for Israel’s largest telecommunications group Bezeq and used his company car in the attack, was shot by a civilian security guard and later died of his wounds, police said.
The Jerusalem attacks, coupled with a pair of stabbing attacks in the central Israeli city of Raanana that wounded five, including one seriously, came in rapid succession. Emergency services said several of the wounded were in serious condition.
In a sign of the tensions, police said a Jewish-Israeli man stabbed another Jew in northern Israel in a suspected failed revenge attack. Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said the man was trying to avenge the recent attacks against Israelis by stabbing an Arab. However, he actually attacked another Israeli Jew whom he mistook for an Arab because of his Middle Eastern appearance. The 22-year-old victim was moderately wounded.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here