The foreign ministers of a number of regional countries have called on all parties to the Libyan Political Dialogue to immediately approve a political agreement brokered by a special U.N. representative following recent meetings to achieve national reconciliation. “The parties to the dialogue face a stark choice. They can delay approval of the text and annexes beyond Oct. 20 or attempt to make further amendments, and put at risk the stability of the country,” said the joint statement released by the Turkish Foreign Ministry late on Oct. 19. “To secure Libya’s future, we urge the Libyan parties to ‎immediately approve the hard-fought political compromise set forth in the political agreement, which will provide a period of stability to the country until a new constitution can be agreed. New elections can then be held which will finally give Libya a fully representative, inclusive and democratic parliament whose legitimacy is acknowledged across the country and the world.” “The Libyan people have made it clear that they want an end to instability in their country, instability which has led to the loss of lives, allowed terrorism to grow, and severely damaged the economy of the country. The international community stands ready to support the Libyan people and the leaders they choose,” said the statement. “The international community looks forward to working with the Government of National Accord, at their request, in supporting the fight against terrorism, particularly DEASH [Daesh/the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant – ISIL] and Ansar al-Sharia, and in helping Libya face up to its many challenges. We urge all participants in the dialogue to seize the opportunity to end this instability by approving, and faithfully implementing, the political agreement without introducing further amendments,” it said. The statement was signed by the foreign ministers of Algeria, France, Germany, Italy, Morocco, Qatar, Spain, Tunisia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom and the United States, as well as the EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs.

0
115

A total of 24 of around 50 suspects of Tajik and Uzbek origin, who were detained for having links to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) in Istanbul on Oct. 18, have been revealed to be children being trained in basement apartments in Istanbul’s Pendik and Başakşehir districts, daily Vatan has reported.

The suspects were reported to have trained children in basement apartments in Pendik and Başakşehir, using the apartments as militant training camps, according to physical and technical surveillance collected by Istanbul Police Department Counterterrorism Unit officers before raiding 18 separate homes in Pendik and Başakşehir’s Kayaşehir neighborhood.

The suspects, mostly Uzbeks, who were detained in the Oct. 18 raids were reported to have lectured children on the basics of ISIL as well as how to live in an Islamic state.

In August, the Uzbekistan Islamic Movement, an al-Qaeda offshoot based near the Afghan border, announced allegiance to ISIL.

Uzbek intelligence sources reported that more than 5,000 paid Uzbek militants were fighting in Syria alongside ISIL.

Turkey has stepped up anti-terror police operations against ISIL militants in the country, as the Oct. 10 twin blasts in the Turkish capital sent shockwaves through the country, with at least 102 civilians dead and hundreds of others injured.

Thirteen ISIL-linked suspects have reportedly been detained so far within the investigation launched into the Ankara bombing.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here