At least ten people were killed and 15 others were injured Tuesday after an explosion in a historic district of Istanbul popular with tourists, the local governor’s office said.
The cause of the explosion in the Sultanahmet area of the city is under investigation, but state-run TRT television says it was likely caused by a suicide bomber.
A statement from the governor’s office said that an investigation into the explosion was already underway.
Private NTV television said the explosion happened close to a park that is home to a landmark obelisk on the site of an ancient Roman hipppodrome. The state-run Anadolu Agency says several police and medics were sent to the area.
Police sealed the area, barring people from approaching in case of a second explosion.
The explosion was set off at approximately 10:20 a.m. local time, according to the Hurriyet newspaper.
Erdem Koroglu, who was working at a nearby office at the time of the explosion, told NTV television he saw several people lying on the ground following the blast.
“It was difficult to say who was alive or dead,” Koroglu said. “Buildings rattled from the force of the explosion.”
Sultanahmet is Istanbul’s main sight-seeing area and includes the Topkapi Palace and Blue Mosque.
Turkey suffered two major bombing attacks last year.
More than 30 people were killed in an ISIS suicide attack in the town of Suruc, near Turkey’s border with Syria, in July.
Two suicide bombs in October outside Ankara’s main train station as people gathered for a peace rally killed more than 100 people. It was Turkey’s deadliest attack. The prosecutor’s office said the attack was carried out by a local ISIS cell.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.