Those who voluntarily ceased fighting and laid down arms will now be able to return to normal life and be protected by the state, the Daraa governor said.
Over 1,200 opposition members in Syria’s southern Daraa governorate signed on Tuesday a ceasefire agreement with the Syrian authorities, a RIA Novosti correspondent reported Tuesday.
“We think that in the coming days, new agreements will be signed within the scope of national reconciliation,” Daraa Governor Mohammad Khaled Hannous told reporters.
Those who voluntarily ceased fighting and laid down arms will now be able to return to normal life and be protected by the state, he added.
The cessation of hostilities came into effect at midnight on February 27 Damascus time, after the United States and Russia reached an agreement earlier in February on a ceasefire between the Syrian government and opposition groups to help end the country’s civil war.
On March 7, delegations of Syria’s government and opposition are expected to meet in Geneva for talks on reconciliation.
Talks on joining the ceasefire are currently being held across some 40 communities in Syria, according to the Russian coordination center at the Hmeymim airbase in the Latakia governorate.
Talks in Daraa were conducted between the local Military Intelligence Directorate official Wafiq Nasser and members of the Free Syrian Army (FSA), as well as the Yarmouk Brigades and local self-defense forces. The sides signed a document pledging observance of the ceasefire. An attempt by the Nusra Front terrorist group, which is not subject to the ceasefire, to disrupt talks by blocking a motorway failed to reach its objective.
Syria has been mired in civil war since 2011, with government forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar Assad fighting against numerous opposition factions and terrorist groups, such as the Nusra Front and Daesh, which are banned in a range of countries, including Russia.