TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Syria’s Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem says a US-Russia-brokered ceasefire agreement is still viable and says his administration is prepared to take part in a unity government.
In an interview broadcast on the Mayadeen TV channel Monday, al-Muallem blamed the US, Britain, and France for convening a UN Security Council meeting a day earlier in order to support terrorists inside Syria.
But he said ongoing communications between US Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov meant a truce agreement brokered two weeks ago is “not dead,” the Associated Press reported.
The ceasefire ended one week ago, two days after US-led coalition jets bombed Syrian government forces’ positions near the eastern city of Deir ez-Zor, killing 62 troops.
Al-Muallem reaffirmed his government’s proposed roadmap to end Syria’s war, saying Damascus would support a referendum on a new constitution followed by parliamentary elections and the formation of a unity government.