Liverpool go top; Spurs rally


Liverpool thrashed Watford 6-1 at Anfield to move to the top of the Premier League on Sunday.

The Reds, who last led the top flight in May 2014 before eventually slipping up in the title race, capitalised on Arsenal’s 1-1 draw with Tottenham in the north London derby by demolishing the below-par Hornets.

Sadio Mane put Liverpool in front with an acrobatic header on 27 minutes, and within three minutes it was 2-0 when Philippe Coutinho fired in from 20 yards.

Emre Can’s header effectively wrapped things up two minutes before the break.

Roberto Firmino tapped in a third on 57 minutes, with the Brazilian then setting up Mane for his second on the hour.

Daryl Janmaat grabbed a consolation for Watford with 15 minutes left, before Georginio Wijnaldum added number six in stoppage time after substitute Daniel Sturridge had seen two efforts hit the woodwork.

Earlier, Arsenal had missed the chance to move above Chelsea to the top of the table when they were held to a 1-1 draw by Spurs at the Emirates Stadium, where Harry Kane marked his return from seven weeks on the sidelines with a second-half penalty.

Arsenal saw Theo Walcott hit the woodwork in the first half before Kevin Wimmer glanced a free-kick from Mesut Ozil past Hugo Lloris on 43 minutes to send the Gunners into the break ahead.

However, Spurs retained their unbeaten record when Mousa Dembele was fouled by Laurent Koscielny in the 51st minute and Kane made no mistake from the spot, with a free-kick from Christian Eriksen coming back off the post during the closing stages as both teams had to settle for a point.

Manchester United finally got back to winning ways in the Premier League as they beat Swansea 3-1 at the Liberty Stadium, which sees the Welsh club drop to the bottom of the table on goal difference.

A superb volley from record £89million-signing Paul Pogba put United ahead on 15 minutes, with manager Jose Mourinho watching from the stands following a touchline ban.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic doubled the visitors’ lead on 21 minutes, with another 12 minutes later making sure all three points headed back to Old Trafford for the first time since September 24, leaving them in sixth place.

Mike van der Hoorn headed a consolation for Swansea on 69 minutes, which leaves new boss Bob Bradley having delivered just one point from his first four matches in the job.

Struggling Hull ended a six-match losing run as they beat Southampton 2-1 at the KCOM Stadium with two goals in the space of as many minutes during the second half.

The Saints, who beat Italian giants Inter Milan in the Europa League on Thursday night, went ahead on six minutes through a penalty from Charlie Austin.

However, substitute Robert Snodgrass equalised on 61 minutes and then clipped in a free-kick for Michael Dawson to head past Fraser Forster as the match was turned on its head.

Tigers keeper David Marshall helped keep Saints at bay during the closing stages, with Sam Clucas clearing the ball off the line in stoppage time to secure a precious three points.

Sunday’s late match saw West Brom win 2-1 at champions Leicester, the Foxes’ first home league loss in over a year.

The Baggies broke the deadlock on 52 minutes with a header from midfielder James Morrison.

However, the Foxes were soon level when #29million club-record signing Islam Slimani nodded in a cross from Riyad Mahrez.

Matt Phillips, though, secured all three points for West Brom when he made the most of an error from Danny Drinkwater to go on and finish past Leicester stand-in keeper Ron-Robert Zieler on 72 minutes.

West Brom move up to 11th, while Leicester are now 14th, but only two points ahead of Hull, who are in the relegation zone only via goal difference.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here