Body parts of the journalist, slain at Saudi Arabia’s embassy in Turkey, have reportedly been found in Istanbul
Jamal Khashoggi ‘s disfigured face was found in the garden of the Saudi consul general, according to a Turkish politician.
The dissident journalist was murdered at Saudi Arabia’s embassy in Turkey after he entered on October 2.
Widespread reports suggest his body was dismembered, with one report saying his fingers were sent back as to Saudi Arabian crown prince as a ghoulish trophy.
The oil-rich country have denied any direct involvement with the gruesome death and said it was the work of ‘rogue agents’.
Dogu Perincek, leader of Turkey’s Rodina party, claimed in an interview his body parts were discovered in Istanbul during forensic searches.
He claimed the remains had been found in the garden of the Saudi consul general’s home.
A ‘highly placed’ source told Sky News the writer had been “cut up” and his face “disfigured.”
Yesterday Mr Khashoggi’s son came face-to-face with Saudi Arabia’s King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
Mr Khashoggi was last seen alive entering Saudi Arabia’s consulate in Istanbul on October 2.
It is claimed he was brutally tortured and murdered by a 15-strong hit squad operating with instruction from high levels of Saudi government.
It is also alleged he was dismembered and his body parts were removed from the building as part of a cover-up before the hit squad left the country on private jets.
He had arrived to get documents for his upcoming marriage.
His Turkish fiancee, Hatice Cengiz, was waiting for him outside and reported him missing after he failed to emerge.
Turkish officials have been searching a number of sites, including the Belgrade Forest and the city of Yalova, for the journalist’s remains or other clues.
Saudi Arabia has confirmed that Mr Khashoggi was killed inside the consulate, but it has offered no explanation as to what happened to his body.
A Turkish opposition leader claims parts of the body were found in a well on Saudi consulate property in Istanbul, without providing any proof to back up the claim.
It also emerged yesterday investigators found two suitcases which contained personal belongings of Mr Khashoggi during a search of a Saudi consulate vehicle in Istanbul, broadcaster CNN Turk said.
A Reuters witness said a Saudi team was accompanying the Turkish investigators as they carried out the search in a car park where the vehicle was found in Istanbul’s Sultangazi district on Monday.
Meanwhile, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has promised to reveal the “naked truth” behind the killing. He told lawmakers today that a plot to murder Mr Khashoggi began days in advance.
The hard drive for the consulate’s CCTV system was removed just hours before the “gruesome” murder, the president added.
President Donald Trump said on Tuesday Saudi authorities staged the “worst cover-up ever” in the killing of prominent journalist Jamal Khashoggi this month, as the United States vowed to revoke the visas of some of those believed to be responsible.
Trump said the killing and subsequent cover-up by Saudi Arabia were “a total fiasco.”
“There should have never been an execution or a cover-up, because it should have never happened,” Trump told reporters.
He said he had spoken on Monday with the crown prince who denied having anything to do with Khashoggi’s killing.
Earlier, Trump said the Khashoggi matter was handled badly by Saudi officials.
“Bad deal, should have never been thought of. Somebody really messed up. And they had the worst cover-up ever,” Trump told reporters at the White House.