Demolition next to collapsed Istanbul building begins

0
30

Authorities began on Feb. 10 demolishing a 10-story building at risk next to a residential building that collapsed last week in Istanbul’s Kartal district.

The 10-story building, called “Yunus Apartment,” was said to have had construction permit for only the first three floors, with the upper floors having been built illegally.

The inside and surrounding of the building were completely evacuated before demolitionvehicles arrived at the site.

Turkey’s Environment and Urbanization Minister Murat Kurum and Istanbul Governor Ali Yerlikaya were at the scene for the demolition works.

Kurum early on Feb. 10 said 10 buildings around the collapsed building were analyzed and eight of them were given a demolition order.

The eight-story building in Kartal collapsed on Feb. 6.

A total of 35 people were believed to have been trapped under the wreckage, Turkey’s Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu said on Feb. 9.

While 14 people were rescued from under the rubble, 21 died.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here