Turkey’s Foreign Ministry summoned Belgian Ambassador to Ankara Michel Malherbe on March 11 over a Belgian judicial decision it said had blocked the prosecution of people with alleged links to the illegal PKK, a ministry official said.
The ministry last week described the decision by the Belgian Chamber of Indictment as unacceptable and said Belgium was expected “to act in line with [its] counter-terrorism responsibilities”.
In a statement on March 8, the Turkish Foreign Ministry said: “Despite evidence submitted by the Federal Prosecutor of Belgium on the PKK’s terrorist nature, this decision, as it stands, provides the terrorist organization with a very dangerous area of exploitation.”
“We expect our ally Belgium to act in line with counter-terrorism responsibilities and take the necessary steps in the fight against the PKK terrorist organization in an effective manner,” he said.
The PKK, which is listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S. and the EU, waged a terror campaign against Turkey for more than 30 years and has been responsible for the death of nearly 40,000 people, including women and children.
Hurriyet Daily News