Turkey could lose up to 700,000 tourists a year due to the failure of British tourism agency Thomas Cook, the head of Turkey’s hotel federation said on Monday, Reuters reported.
Osman Ayik, the head of Turkey’s Hoteliers Federation (TUROFED), based his estimate of 600,000-700,000 lost tourists on the number of Thomas Cook bookings to Turkey in recent years, adding that those travelers may now decide against a return trip with another agency.
The world’s oldest travel firm fell into bankruptcy on Sunday, stranding more than half a million travelers around the world. On Monday, the Turkish government moved to ensure that the foreign travelers in Turkey on Thomas Cook bookings would be unaffected by the collapse, hoping to extend loan packages to affected hotels.
Some 45,000 tourists currently in Turkey had traveled with Thomas Cook, according to Ayik.
The website of Dalaman Airport, which serves several destinations on the Mediterranean, showed at least seven flights to UK destinations scheduled to depart on Monday had been canceled, Reuters reported.
About 40 million tourists visited in 2018, bringing in a revenue of $29.5 billion, according to official data. “There are a large number of small businesses whose fates depend on Thomas Cook, especially in Muğla, Dalaman and Fethiye,” Ayik told Reuters.