FA Cup fourth round replays results and review: Liverpool youngsters edge Shrewsbury, Wayne Rooney sets up Manchester United reunion



  • Birmingham 2-2 Coventry (B’ham win on pens)
  • Cardiff 3-3 Reading (Reading in on pens)
  • Derby 4-2 Northampton
  • Liverpool 1-0 Shrewsbury
  • Oxford United 2-3 Newcastle (AET)

Liverpool 1-0 Shrewsbury

The youngest team in Liverpool’s history justified the faith Jurgen Klopp placed in them when he absented himself and his first team from their FA Cup fourth-round replay by beating Shrewsbury 1-0 at Anfield.

Former Manchester United academy player Ro-Shaun Williams’ 75th-minute own goal proved to be the difference, moments after the League One visitors saw David Edwards’ header ruled out by VAR.

Klopp had been accused of disrespecting the cup when he chose to honour the mid-season Premier League break by sending all his stars on holiday rather than play in this game.

But their replacements did themselves, Klopp and the club proud with a performance full of confidence and commitment which belied their tender years.

With an average age of 19 years and 102 days, three debutants, 36 senior appearances between them and squad numbers ranging from 46 to 93 this was a very inexperienced team at any level never mind a somewhat controversial cup tie in front of almost 53,000 at Anfield.

Derby 4-2 Northampton

Wayne Rooney scored as Derby booked an FA Cup date with his former club Manchester United by beating Northampton 4-2.

Rooney netted a second-half penalty as the Championship Rams saw off their League Two visitors in a fourth-round replay at Pride Park.

Goals from Andre Wisdom and Duane Holmes put Derby 2-0 ahead at the break before Nicky Adams pulled one back.

Jack Marriott and Rooney made the game safe for Derby but the Cobblers grabbed another consolation with a Sam Hoskins spot-kick.

Oxford United 2-3 Newcastle (AET)

A superb solo effort from Allan Saint-Maximin saw Newcastle edge past Oxford in extra-time of their FA Cup replay and reach the fifth round for the first time in 16 years.

Oxford took the tie the distance with two goals in a frenetic final six minutes of normal time but Saint-Maximin’s strike was enough to settle the contest 3-2 in favour of Steve Bruce’s side.

Recent cup runs have been lacking for Newcastle but they would have thought they were on a smooth course to round five as Sean Longstaff and Joelinton had them two goals up at half-time of a replay which stemmed from a forgettable 0-0 draw at St James’ Park.

But their League One opponents rallied late on, Liam Kelly’s free-kick getting them back into the tie before Nathan Holland’s fine strike deep into added time took the game into extra-time.

Karl Robinson’s side were the livelier of the two as the additional 30 minutes got under way but, after a few miscues from his team-mates, Saint-Maximin provided the heroics.

Birmingham 2-2 Coventry (B’ham win on pens)

Goalkeeper Lee Camp was Birmingham’s hero as the Sky Bet Championship side clinched a place in the Emirates FA Cup fifth round on penalties against Coventry.

Camp saved penalties from substitutes Liam Walsh and Jamie Allen as Birmingham won 4-1 in a shootout after twice coming from behind in a 2-2 draw after extra-time.

Captain Harlee Dean’s spot kick sealed victory, while substitutes Lukas Jutkiewicz, Jeremie Bela and Gary Gardner also netted from the spot to enable Birmingham to book a trip to Leicester in the last 16.

Dean made it 1-1 in the second minute of time added on, and a hopeful cross by Bela in the 120th minute saw Birmingham draw to cancel out goals from Amadou Bakayoko (50) and Max Biamou (114).

Mark Robins’ visitors could have won in normal time but Biamou missed two excellent chances after Bakayoko’s goal.

Birmingham carried little threat until the last few minutes of normal time, with goalkeeper Marko Marosi denying Jefferson Montero and Bela either side of half-time the highlights.

The home side also had former Chelsea midfielder Josh McEachran carried off with a suspected dislocated left knee in the 16th minute when the 26-year-old’s studs appeared to get caught in the turf and his standing leg gave way.

Cardiff 3-3 Reading (Reading in on pens)

Reading claimed a dramatic penalty shoot-out FA Cup victory over Cardiff to book a fifth-round home tie with Premier League Sheffield United.

In a game that finished 3-3 after extra time, Josh Murphy and Robert Glatzel struck either side of the interval for Cardiff before Omar Richards and substitute Andy Rinomhota forced another 30 minutes.

Murphy pounced on a Gabriel Osho mistake to poke home his second and restore Cardiff’s lead, but Yakou Meite forced penalties four minutes from time.

Reading won the resulting shoot-out 4-1 as Garath McCleary, Osho, Jordan Obita and Sone Aluko gave the Royals a 100 per cent return from the spot and Cardiff’s nerve buckled as Aden Flint and Will Vaulks missed.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here