George Floyd fallout: Unrest erupts in Cicero; Pritzker sends National Guard to suburbs; disaster proclamation issued for several counties; CTA again suspending service

Chicago Tribune

Gov. J.B. Pritzker is deploying Illinois National Guard troops to the suburbs to help restore order following violent clashes Sunday night. The activation of about 250 additional troops comes after the governor ordered 375 service members to help with crowd control in Chicago.

Earlier on Monday, Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot denied that the city prioritized protecting the Loop over neighborhoods on the South and West sides over the weekend and promised to help rebuild.

“There is no way, no way we would ever let any neighborhood receive more resources and protection than any others. Ever,” Lightfoot said. “That certainly didn’t happen over the course of the weekend.”

Meanwhile in Washington, President Trump threatened on to deploy the military unless states quickly halted the violent protests that have convulsed cities from coast to coast. Trump spoke in the Rose Garden as police and National Guard soldiers fired tear gas at hundreds of peaceful protesters who gathered near the White House.

Here are the latest developments:

9:17 p.m.: 60 arrested, 2 killed in Cicero

Cicero Police arrested 60 individuals and confirmed two deaths Monday evening following an afternoon of unrest that began after looters hit various businesses in the town.

Police said more than 100 officers were dispatched to the streets in addition to more than 100 county and state police officers. A curfew has not been put in place, according to a spokeswoman of the township.

A group of police marched in riot gear on Cermak and South 50th Avenue on Monday night where police said outside agitators shot at least two people earlier in the day.

Several injuries were reported according to police. Exact numbers of those impacted were not immediately available. —Jessica Villagomez

9:06 p.m.: Peaceful Uptown protest ends with smashed shop

As protesters dispersed from Irving Park and Lake Shore Drive, a group nearby smashed the windows of a Cash America at North Broadway and West Sheridan Road. Giant cracks of glass covered the sidewalk.

Within minutes, the small group made off with at least one large TV screen.

“This doesn’t solve anything!” neighborhood resident Mak Kelm said, arriving at the scene “This is our community.”

“I’m just very disappointed honestly,” Kelm said outside the store. “Because we had a peaceful protest. I’m walking to my friend’s place right now and they started busting the windows …”

Some gathered on the corner engaged in a passionate back and forth with a woman who yelled about standing up to looters. They urged her not to conflate the protest with what happened at the shop.

As the bang of a firework went off, a small group gathered outside the shop to protect it. Chicago Fire arrived at the scene about 8:30 p.m. They left about 20 minutes later. —Morgan Greene

8:33 p.m.: Naperville mayor declares emergency, 9 p.m. curfew as hundreds fill downtown Naperville for second protest

Naperville Mayor Steve Chirico declared a state of emergency and set a 9 p.m. curfew as hundreds of protesters filled downtown Naperville Monday night, just hours after a similar protest brought more than 800 people to the same area Monday afternoon.

The intersection of Washington and Chicago streets was blocked by people standing or kneeling in the street at about 7 p.m. The group then headed north on Washington Street, turned west and snaked its way up and down downtown streets before returning to Washington and Chicago about an hour later.

Naperville police officers filled the area, including some on the rooftop of the Barnes & Noble store building at the intersection where the crowd was gathered.

Citing “widespread incidents of violence, vandalism and stealing occurring throughout the greater Chicagoland area” as the reason behind his action, the mayor set a curfew that will remain in place until 6 a.m. Tuesday, a statement from the city said. Read more here. —Suzanne Baker and Erin Hegarty

8:12 p.m.: Protest on North Side moves on to Lake Shore Drive

Shortly before 8 p.m., a crowd of thousands paused at Irving Park and moved on to Lake Shore Drive. Some cars stopped and honked in solidarity. Other drivers held up their fists through open windows.

One driver stepped out of his car to hold up a cardboard sign: “No Justice No Peace” —Morgan Greene

8:08 p.m.: Pritzker says Trump has ‘been a miserable failure’

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker appeared on CNN as condemned Trump’s actions after the president’s Rose Garden address Monday.

“I reject the notion that the federal government can send troops into the state of Illinois. The fact is that the president has created an incendiary moment here,” Pritzker said, calling such a move illegal and a distraction from the president’s “miserable failure” over the coronavirus.

“Now, seeing a moment where there is unrest because of the injustice that was done to George Floyd, he wants to create another topic, something where he can be the law and law and order president,” Pritzker said. “He’s been a miserable failure.”

8:06 p.m.: Metra suspends service on Tuesday

Metra will be out of service for a second day on Tuesday, while the CTA and Pace both imposed multiple service cutbacks and a second overnight shutdown after a weekend of mass looting and violent clashes with police downtown and in other areas. Read more here. —Mary Wisniewski

7:31 p.m.: CTA again suspending service Monday night into Tuesday morning

The CTA said in messages emailed and posted on social media that it was shutting down service starting at 9:30 p.m. until 6 a.m. Tuesday.

“At the request of public safety officials, the CTA is temporarily suspending all bus and rail service, effective at 9:30 p.m. this evening. For public safety reasons, the suspension of services will remain in effect until 6 a.m. Tuesday, June 2,” the CTA said. —Chicago Tribune staff

7:23 p.m.: Large crowds gather at Uptown protest

A Monday evening protest on Chicago’s North Side drew large crowds to the Uptown neighborhood as the fallout around the death of George Floyd continued.

Shortly after 5 p.m., protesters, many wearing masks, set off from the Belmont “L” stop and headed north on Halsted Street, converging near the Stewart School Lofts at West Sunnyside Avenue and Broadway to listen to speakers and join in cheers. Along the way, calls of “Black Lives Matter” filled Boystown streets, where some businesses had boarded up. Volunteers handed out masks, gloves, hand sanitizer and water to marchers. Protesters carried signs with messages like “Stop killing black people” and “Defund the police.”

As the speakers concluded and the crowds started to move south, a small contingent of police officers began blocking Montrose to the west and Broadway to the east.

Julia Gerasimenko, of Ravenswood, said she was downtown this weekend and came to the Monday protest “in the name of countless murders of black lives.”

“I think we need to defund police and spend that money funding communities through mental health services, education, free public transit, health insurance, libraries,” Gerasimenko said. “I think we would see a vastly different society.

“Listen to black voices, not some white lady,” Gerasimenko added. “None of this is an original thought. All understood by listening to leaders of color.”

Dejon Crockran and Liv Upstone, of Edgewater, said they were happy to be able to come out to show support Monday in their own neighborhood.

“Especially since there’s been sort of a disconnect it seems from the North Side to the rest of the city as far as what’s been going on in the past couple of days,” Upstone said. “I think it’s really important for North Siders, people that live up here, to come out if they’re able.”

Crockran felt similarly: “I just want to get out and make a change.” —Morgan Greene

7:18 p.m.: DeKalb pastor who helped defuse looting at shopping center says unrest is sign of participants’ ‘frustration and anger with the nation they live in’

A DeKalb pastor who helped to defuse a burst of looting at a shopping center Sunday said the unrest was a sign of the participants’ “frustration and anger with the nation they live in.”

Joseph Mitchell, pastor of the New Hope Missionary Baptist Church, said a friend alerted him to the break-ins happening at a small shopping center a mile north of Northern Illinois University. A video posted by Shaw Media shows a group of young people smashing their way into a liquor store and rushing a nearby tobacco store, though some appear to prevent the looting of an adjoining convenience store.

Mitchell said he went to the scene at the invitation of a police commander. The video shows Mitchell speaking to the crowd through a squad car’s megaphone, telling them: “This is not the way. I agree with you, ‘No justice, no peace,’ but this is not the way. We have to do it another way. This is not it.”

He told the Tribune that relations between DeKalb’s African-American community and police have long been strained — a violent arrest captured on camera last year led to sergeant’s 30-day suspension for violating the department’s use of force policy — and that George Floyd’s killing by Minneapolis police sparked two demonstrations over the weekend.

He said people at the shopping center eventually heeded his message and stopped looting. Interim police chief John Petragallo did not return a message left at his office.

Mitchell said the episode should serve as another reminder that all is not well in the nation.

“I hope people are paying attention,” he said. “I think people should know you can only be slapped in the face so many times before you demand change. If change is what people want, it’s going to take a lot of time. It’ll take more than marches and conversations. There are institutions and policies that need to be changed to bring equality to our communities. We have to get on board and do this work together.” —John Keilman

7:16 p.m.: ‘Everything is good here’

In Pilsen, business owners on 18th Street guarded their stores Sunday with the help of friends and customers throughout the day. A group of residents stayed through the night. Community members dropped off food and water for the group.

“This is not a statement against the Black Lives Matter movement, we stand with our Black brothers, but we need to protect our community to avoid more damage, division and hate within our minority communities,” said Roberto Montaño, a longtime Pilsen resident.

In Little Village, a crowd of residents on 26th Street grew through the day after looters attempted to hit some businesses in the heart of the Mexican-American neighborhood. Residents and police intervened and halted the chaos.

Shortly after, leaders of New Life Community Church, who have been working to reduce violence in the area for years, helped to organize residents to guard the streets and to help keep peace within the different groups present. Elizeth Arguelles, a tamale seller and activist, walked the whole 26th Street corridor to check on street vendors after hearing rumors that they had been assaulted.

Many of the street vendors, fearing assaults, closed down and headed home. Arguelles was one of the lead organizers for the Black and Brown Solidarity Caravan protest, demanding justice for George Floyd, but also promoting unity between the black and brown people.

Some groups and police remained on 26th Street until early Monday.

By 5 a.m., Arguelles was back on the street selling tamales.

“Everything is good here, thank you to everyone who worked together to protect our neighborhood,” she said.

In the Back of the Yards neighborhood, about 50 teens answered a call from Berto Aguayo, leader of Increase the Peace, to help keep the peace until curfew hit Sunday.

On Monday evening, the group gathered again. This time to clean the neighborhood and strategically show presence in the neighborhood to keep looters away, Aguayo said.

More than 200 people, some from the suburbs, dispersed in groups through the Southwest Side with brooms and bags to pick up debris from the looting.

A cop stopped a group to ask what the broom was for and once the group answered, he nodded and thanked them.

“I can’t stay home and watch this happen without doing anything,” said Andy Carrera, 19, from Melrose Park.

Aguayo said the group will continue to organize to respond to protests and unrest as they develop.

“Let’s not forget why this is happening,” he told volunteers. —Laura Rodriguez

6:45 p.m.: ‘Not the mom and pop stores’

Holding nothing but a yellow broom, Lurrie Fuentes left her Cicero home Monday evening to help clean up after looters hit several stores in a strip mall on Cermak Road and Cicero Avenue. Fuentes, who said she currently works from home, said she heard police sirens at 3 p.m. and peeked her head out the window to see what was happening. Fuentes said she saw several cars line up on her residential street with people jumping out.

“It was scary,” she said as police sirens continued to sound outside her home. “I was trying to talk to them and say this isn’t the way to do it, you’re hurting our community.”

Fuentes said she estimates a couple of hundred people ran into the shopping district. She stayed inside at the window.

“I’m all for the protests, but go against the big corporations not the mom and pop stores,” she said.

Fuentes referred to a nearby El Patron Liquor Store that was looted earlier in the day.

“I’m gonna go help,” she said.

At the liquor store, shattered glass and the remnants of liquor littered the floor creating small pools of mixed drinks. The scent of spiced rum, wine and vodka filled the aisles.

Fuentes began to sweep up broken glass near liquor displays into piles.

Police found two suspects hiding in the store and took them into custody.

Sandip Patel, owner of the store, stood at the register and surveyed the damage.

“It was bound to happen,” Patel said, shrugging. “We’re all safe. This is replaceable; lives aren’t. America has to build again, so we have to build again.” —Jessica Villagomez

6:41 p.m.: More than 100 people in Glenview protest death of George Floyd: ‘I’m going to use my privilege to speak up’

Car horns and crowd chants blended together Monday afternoon when more than 130 people gathered outside the Glenview Police Department with fists held high in protest.

For at least four hours, protesters stood on the sidewalks and along bustling East Lake Avenue and chanted.

Between chants, the crowd stood silent with homemade signs displaying messages that echoed their chants: “All lives can’t matter until black lives matter,” “No justice no peace,” and “I can’t breathe,” among others.

Members of the group said they were protesting racial injustice and police brutality in light of George Floyd’s May 25 death while in police custody in Minneapolis.

Jordan Dahiya, a recent Glenbrook South High School graduate, organized the event.

Dahiya said it was important to her, as a person with Native American heritage and white privilege, to stand by black individuals in the fight for justice and start a protest in her community.

“Racism is not only existing, but it’s thriving in America today,” she said. “It’s really important that we exercise our rights to peacefully protest.”

According to Dahiya, Glenbrook South incorporates the importance of civic work into the curriculum. She said she was surprised by the turnout in a predominantly white community and was proud of the way they came together to use their voice.

“These kids know that they’re coming from a place of privilege,” she said. “I’m really proud of the way they’ve internalized what’s going on and they’ve decided enough is enough — I’m not going to use my privilege to stay silent. I’m going to use my privilege to speak up when it really matters.” Read more here. —Kaitlin Edquist

6:35 p.m.: Trump threatens to deploy military as police fire tear gas at peaceful protesters outside White House

President Donald Trump threatened on Monday to deploy the United States military unless states quickly halted the violent protests that have convulsed cities from coast to coast, hours after George Floyd’s brother pleaded for peace, saying destruction is “not going to bring my brother back at all.”

The competing messages — one conciliatory, one bellicose — came as the U.S. braced for another round of violence at a time when the country is already buckling because of the coronavirus outbreak and the Depression-level unemployment it has caused.

Trump said he was recommending that governors throughout the country deploy the National Guard in sufficient numbers to “dominate the streets.” If governors fail to take action, Trump said, he will deploy the United States military and “quickly solve the problem for them.”

Trump spoke in the Rose Garden minutes after police fired tear gas to disperse hundreds of peaceful, chanting protesters gathered in the park across the street from the White House. Read more here. —Associated Press

5:23 p.m. (updated at 7:30 p.m.): Youth-led protest winds miles through city

Hundreds of youth gathered outside Chicago City Hall late Monday afternoon, among them a large group that walked six miles from the Harold Washington Cultural Center.

That group, whose organizers called for a peaceful protest, stopped midway at the Chicago Police Department’s Central District precinct on South State Street and 18th Street, where they were joined by others and confronted with a line of police in helmets, some carrying shields. Demonstrators formed a line of their own facing the officers, and some demanded information on people they believe were arrested at weekend protests. “Where are our loved ones?” they asked. “You can’t kidnap us.”

Many of the young demonstrators showed up after seeing social media posts by the group FourtuneHouse, “Calling all Chicago kids. This is not a riot.” Among their demands: The release of all protesters, police to wear their badges visibly, no denial of public transit, police accountability, and justice for George Floyd “and all those lost and damaged by the American criminal justice system.”

Other protesters have also focused their attention on police stations, and this effort included another meet up at the 18th District headquarters in the Near North Side. After regrouping at City Hall, the South group headed north over the LaSalle Street bridge, one of the only ways to get across the river downtown with many bridges lifted by the city.

Around 1:45 p.m. at the cultural center, leaders with megaphones asked white participants to stand in between black demonstrators and police, saying, “please use your privilege as an ally to help protect us as a movement.” They told everyone to find out each others’ names, have a partner and protect each other.

Amir Felton, 22, of Chicago Lawn, brought a camera.

“I come from the district of Laquan McDonald, at the time I was the same age as him. Being a black man… I wanted to come out here and support,” he said.

He walked among young people from all over the city, including students at Simeon, Lane Tech and Lincoln Park High Schools.

“People were saying the youth start the riots when half the people were actually adults,” said one high school student. “We’re here to show that youth can be peaceful… there’s a bigger fight to fight outside of school.”

On the way to the 1st District police headquarters, leaders tried to keep the group on the sidewalk, and a small contingent of police followed in the street, some on foot and others in cars. When demonstrators noticed an officer holding a phone at his side, appearing to aim the camera at the group, they called him out, teasing him for trying to be sneaky with a bright orange phone case.

“That’s why you got a body cam! Make sure it’s on,” said one young man.

As the group approached a checkpoint at Cermak Road, more police cars drove alongside them. Some people in a blue car drove up to one of the police SUVs and someone leaned out an open window to bang on the cop car, prompting two young men with megaphones to run toward the car and ask them to stop. “This is a peaceful protest!” they repeated. And it remained one, as the group moved through the checkpoint, past tan humvees and national guard troops holding batons in addition to Chicago officers.

When the group made it to City Hall, they gathered around an entrance, where several people spoke and led chants like the ones they’d bellowed on the way there: “Black Lives Matter.” They repeated “George Floyd,” and the names of other black Americans killed by police. “I will participate in a peaceful protest,” they changed. “I will no longer stand for police violence. I will no longer stand for white supremacy. I will not be silenced.”

Cory Scott, 35, of Hyde Park, addressed the crowd with a megaphone. When he’s studied the civil rights movement, it always amazes him that in the 50s and 60s so many of the leaders were young people.

He was 15 years old when he first watched news reports of a fatal shooting by police. Now he has found a purpose in supporting youth activists, “so they don’t have to live the nightmare I’ve had to live my entire life.”

“It’s important for my generation to support these young people who have the energy, who have the passion, but we have become tired. This type of dehumanization and injustice is tiring, and so we need young people, we need their energy, we need their blood, and that’s the message that I’m out here to support.” —Hannah Leone

4:49 p.m.: Pritzker deploys Illinois National Guard troops to the suburbs

The activation of about 250 additional troops comes after governor ordered 375 service members, all of whom have training as military police officers, to help with crowd control in Chicago.

Troops will be deployed to the suburbs and other parts of the state in platoons of 30 to 40 members.

“This is a mission for the national guard that we find most distasteful,” Neely said Monday. “But we answer the call.”

Lightfoot had asked Gov. J.B. Pritzker to send the guard to help quell the violence, the first time Chicago has made such a request since Mayor Richard J. Daley brought troops in to police the Democratic National Convention in 1968. Read more here. —Stacy St. Clair

4:47 p.m.: Pritzker announces a disaster proclamation for several Illinois counties

Gov. J.B. Pritzker announced he was issuing a disaster proclamation for several Illinois counties, including Cook County, on Monday to assist local governments with disaster response and recovery operations.

Amid continuing fallout from the death in Minneapolis of George Floyd, an unarmed black man in police custody, Pritzker also said he is calling up 250 additional Illinois National Guard members. That’s in addition to 375 National Guard members assisting local law enforcement with street closures in Chicago over the weekend.

An additional 300 Illinois State Police troopers are also being activated Monday to “focus on preventative measures and supporting local law enforcement agencies “where departments are running thin.”

“It is difficult to put into words the damage that has happened to our communities over the weekend,” Pritzker said in a news conference Monday.

The affected counties are Cook, Kane, Du Page, Kendall, Will, Sangamon, Madison and Macon counties. —Jamie Munks

4:44 p.m.: Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart: Carry on peaceful protesters, but looters and arsonists will go to jail

Sheriff Tom Dart on Monday delivered a two-pronged message: Peaceful protestors should carry on, but looters and vandals will find there’s plenty of space for them at the jail.

“To the peaceful protestors, please continue your peaceful protests,” Dart said, referring to people hitting the streets to condemn the police killing of George Floyd.

“You have every right to do that. You are justified in doing so. It was a horrific thing that occurred in Minneapolis. Please continue your peaceful protests to have these issues raised in the appropriate way so change can happen.”

“But what we can’t do is we can’t conflate that with people who are affirmatively committing criminal acts on purpose,” Dart continued. “Their only goal is to utilize these groups of peaceful protestors for their own criminal acts.”

“For individuals committing violent acts, we will find space for you at jail,” the sheriff added. “We will make sure that there is a place available for them. … I just want that to be clear. Just because of the issues with COVID, it doesn’t mean that there’s an ability where people are going to be able to walk free. That’s not going to happen.”

Dart said that, as of Monday morning, 110 people had been sent to the jail who were arrested in connection with the Floyd fallout. Fifty bonded out after posting bail, but 60 were being held because they didn’t have bail money or were ordered held without bond. More arrestees are expected, he added. Read more here. —Hal Dardick

4:26 p.m.: Hundred march to Illinois Capitol

Hundreds of people marched to the Illinois Capitol in downtown Springfield Monday chanting “Black Lives Matter” and “I can’t breathe.”

On the Capitol steps, near the statue of Abraham Lincoln, several speakers took the microphone and called for the peaceful protest of police brutality a week after George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis.

The Springfield gathering on Monday afternoon followed a Black Lives Matter vehicle procession through the capital city on Sunday that drew thousands.

Some Capitol complex offices closed early on Monday afternoon, at 2 p.m., before the start of the 3 p.m. protests. The move was made “out of an abundance of caution and after conferring with law enforcement,” said Henry Haupt, a spokesman for the Illinois Secretary of State’s Office.

Haupt said Monday morning that graffiti was spray painted at some point Sunday on the state Herndon Building, and a window was broken at a “guard shack” on Capitol grounds. —Jamie Munks

4:24 p.m.: Chicago hospitals cancel appointments after weekend unrest

Several Chicago-area health systems canceled patient appointments Monday following a violent weekend and disruptions to public transit schedules.

University of Chicago Medicine closed all of its outpatient centers Monday, including those in Orland Park, the South Loop, River East, River North, South Shore and the Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine in Hyde Park. The system also canceled all elective surgeries and closed curbside testing for COVID-19 at its Orland Park and Hyde Park locations for the day.

University of Chicago Medicine’s emergency departments remained open, and it continued to treat and accept patients for overnight care.

The system enacted the closures and cancellations “out of an abundance of caution,” according to an email sent by the system’s incident commander to faculty and staff Sunday evening. Read more here. —Lisa Schencker

3:51 p.m.: George Floyd’s brother pleads for peace in the streets as President Trump takes a combative tone

George Floyd’s brother pleaded for peace in the streets Monday, saying destruction is “not going to bring my brother back at all,” while President Donald Trump berated most of the nation’s governors as “weak” for not cracking down harder on the lawlessness that has convulsed cities from coast to coast.

The competing messages — one conciliatory, one bellicose — came as the U.S. braced for another round of violence at a time when the country is already buckling because of the coronavirus outbreak and the Depression-level unemployment it has caused.

“We are a country that is scared,” said Sam Page, county executive in St. Louis County, Missouri, where the city of Ferguson has been synonymous with the Black Lives Matter movement since the 2014 death of Michael Brown, a black 18-year-old, during a confrontation with a white officer. “We are a country that is angry. And we are a country that is holding out for the promise of justice for all.”

In Minneapolis, Floyd’s brother, Terrence, made an emotional plea at the site where Floyd was pinned to the pavement by an officer who put his knee on the handcuffed black’s man neck for several minutes.

“Let’s switch it up, y’all. Let’s switch it up. Do this peacefully, please,” Terrence Floyd said. Read more here. —Associated Press

3:42 p.m.: ‘Where are our loved ones?’

3:38 p.m.: Activists demand release of poet, activist arrested in Hyde Park

A group of activists held a news conference Monday afternoon outside the Wentworth District Police Station, 5101 S. Wentworth Ave., calling for the release of protesters who were arrested over the weekend.

More than 100 people gathered, many of them carrying ”Free Malcolm London” signs. London, a Chicago activist and poet, was arrested Sunday during a protest in the Hyde Park neighborhood. Those at the news conference said he was beaten by police when they apprehended him.

Ald. Rossana Rodriguez Sanchez, 33rd, said London and other protesters were denied access to legal counsel immediately following their arrests.

Sanchez said she went to the police station Sunday night and that lawyers who were representing those arrested were not allowed inside the police station until she showed her alderman badge.

“That means if you don’t have an Alderman who’s going to show up with a badge and they don’t know that you’re in there, you’re going to stay in there without legal counsel,” she said.

London’s attorney, Brendan Shiller, said in an interview that London was attending the protest at 53rd Street and Lake Park Avenue Sunday evening and things were peaceful. Police arrived and appeared to directly target London and another protester, they got aggressive, tried to provoke them, and started beating them, Shiller said.

London and a few others were taken into custody. Shiller got to the Wentworth District Station at 7:45 p.m. Sunday and for two hours those there were told that none of the arrested activists were present there.

After aldermen and people in the Lightfoot administration made phone calls to the district commander, police admitted two of them were present, but not London. It took another two hours for them to find out he was at St. Bernard Hospital with bruises and cuts to his arms and face and eventually Shiller was able to get in in to see the other protesters.

Police released the other protesters without charges after 200 to 300 activists showed up at the police station, Shiller said.

A police spokeswoman said in an email later that “We can confirm we have someone by that name in custody. We cannot confirm any other details until charges are finalized.”

Police are pursuing felony aggravated battery charges against London, Shiller said, but Shiller believes they will be rejected and police will instead charge London with a misdemeanor, which doesn’t have to go through the state’s attorney’s office.

At the news conference, Vic Mensa, a famous Chicago rapper, called for the ”immediate release” of London and said that many protesters yesterday were beaten with batons and ”brutalized” by police.

”It’s been four or five years since we marched in the streets and were beaten by police after the murder of Laquan McDonald, and as you can see, ain’t nothing changed,” he said.

”Don’t ask us to show restraint when restraint and humanity are not given to us and not shown to us.” —Javonte Anderson and Megan Crepeau


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here