Liverpool 4-0 Crystal Palace: Jurgen Klopp’s side two points from title


Trent Alexander-Arnold celebrates scoring for Liverpool with Roberto Firmino and Jordan Henderson

Liverpool moved to within two points of their first league title since 1990 by thrashing Crystal Palace 4-0 at Anfield.

They will be crowned champions on Thursday night if Manchester City fail to beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, if not then they will have to wait until they meet City in their next game on July 2.

Jurgen Klopp’s side have now won an incredible 28 of 31 Premier League matches this season, and lead the division by a staggering 23 points.

The ruthless demolition of a Palace side who went into the game on the back of four straight wins was a resounding reminder to anyone who may have forgotten just how imperious the Reds have been since August.

They played with an intensity and sharpness that was lacking in their first match of the restart, a dour, goalless Merseyside derby, and their opponents simply had no answer.

It took a set-piece to break the deadlock, as Trent Alexander-Arnold’s brilliant free-kick found the top corner, but the opening goal felt like an inevitability.

In Palace’s defence, despite being utterly outclassed they very nearly limped to half-time only a goal behind, but with the whistle imminent Liverpool broke their spirits.

Fabinho played a perfectly-weighted ball over the top for Mo Salah, who controlled on his chest and fired home for what was perhaps the goal of the night – and there were some real contenders.

It was Fabinho’s turn to make his case in the second half, when Palace gave him the freedom of Anfield to line a shot up from 25 yards; he duly obliged by rifling in.

Sadio Mane then got on the scoresheet by racing on to a Salah through-ball, cutting in from the left and passing beyond a helpless Wayne Hennessy.

It was no more than both Liverpool and Palace deserved in as one-sided a match as you are likely to see for the remainder of the campaign.

Roy Hodgson’s team, already struggling with an injury-depleted squad, were dealt an early blow when star man Wilf Zaha limped off but it is unlikely his presence would have contained Klopp’s rampant Reds.

Palace failed to muster a shot on target and can perhaps count themselves lucky that for periods of the second half Liverpool were content to simply keep possession, otherwise the scoreline could have been even greater.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here