Angel Di Maria (left) and Neymar: Duo celebrate after PSG scored in the Champions League semi-final v RB Leipzig.·
The French side have been chasing success in the premier European competition ever since they were taken over by Qatari investors in 2011, but they had only previously got to the quarter-final stage.
But they booked their place in the final thanks to goals from Marquinhos, Angel Di Maria and Juan Bernat and are on the cusp of finally achieving their goal of becoming European champions.
They will now wait to see who they meet, with the second semi-final between favourites Bayern Munich and Lyon on Wednesday.
For Leipzig, it is the end of their impressive Champions League journey which saw them beat Tottenham and Atletico Madrid in the knockout stages and 33-year-old boss Julian Nagelsmann leaves the tournament with his reputation sky high.
But they exited with a whimper as PSG controlled the entire game and their attention will now turn to Sunday night’s showpiece..
- Paris SG have reached their first ever European Cup/Champions League final; this was their 110th game in the competition – the most played by a side before reaching their first final, overtaking Arsenal’s record of 90 between 1971-2006.
- Paris SG will be the fifth different French side to appear in a European Cup/Champions League final and the first since Monaco in 2003-04. Only Italy, Germany (6 each) and England (8) have had more different clubs appear in the final of the competition.
- German sides have been eliminated at the semi-finals of the UEFA Champions League on each of the last five occasions they have reached this stage of the competition (Bayern four times between 2014-2018 and RB Leipzig tonight), since both Bayern München and Borussia Dortmund made the final in 2012-13.
- No side has ever scored in more consecutive matches in major UEFA competition than Paris SG’s current run of 34 (level with Real Madrid between 2011-2014 in the UEFA Champions League). The last side to stop the Parisians scoring were Man City back in April 2016 (0-1).
- Paris SG’s Marquinhos has scored in back-to-back UEFA Champions League games for the first time since October 2013 (his first two appearances in the competition).
- Since his UEFA Champions League debut (18th September 2007), only Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo (32 each) have provided more assists in the competition than Ángel Di María (27), whilst he scored (1) and assisted (2) in a single UEFA Champions League game for the first time since November 2013 (for Real Madrid v Galatasaray).
- Paris SG’s Ángel Di María is unbeaten in all 17 UEFA Champions League matches he’s scored in (W15 D2 L0 – 21 goals in total) – only Mohamed Salah (18), Gonzalo Higuaín (21) and Patrick Kluivert (25) have scored in more games without defeat in the competition’s history.
- Neymar has been directly involved in 59 goals in 59 UEFA Champions League games (35 goals & 24 assists), including 23 goal involvements in 19 appearances for Paris SG (14 goals & 9 assists).