Russia calls on parties to Karabakh conflict to avoid strikes against civilian population

0
44

YEREVAN, November 6. /ARKA/. Russia calls on the parties to the Karabakh conflict to show extreme restraint, avoid strikes against the civilian population, and prevent the intervention of external forces, a spokeswoman for Russian Foreign Ministry Maria Zakharova told a press briefing today.

“During the week, the situation in the zone of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict remained tense. Mutual shelling was noted along the entire line of contact between the parties. Civilian objects were also targeted,” she said.

Zakharova pointed to the need to pursue a ceasefire, de-escalation of tensions and the resumption of negotiations with a view to reaching a peaceful settlement based on basic principles.

“On November 1 and 2, the Russian president held an intensive exchange of views with the leaders of Azerbaijan and Armenia,’ she said.

According to Zakharova, another attempt of the international community to find an early way out of the dramatic situation around the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict was the meeting in Geneva on October 30 of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs with the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia.

Previously, consultations were held with the President of the International Committee of the Red Cross and the UN High Commissioner for Refugees. Other members of the OSCE Minsk Group on Nagorno-Karabakh demonstrated their support for the peacekeeping efforts of the co-chairs at its meeting on November 3 in Vienna.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here