Scores of Troops Reportedly Injured as ‘Minor Face-off’ Erupts Between India, China

0
174

by Rishikesh Kumar

India and China held their ninth round of military commander-level talks on Sunday after a two-month hiatus to ease the tensions along the Line of Actual Control. The 10-month long border stand-off erupted after the two sides accused each other of violating border agreements in eastern Ladakh.

A “minor face-off” erupted between troops of the Indian Army and China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA) in the eastern Himalayas amid talks on de-escalating tensions along the Line of Actual Control.

“It is clarified that there was a minor face-off at Naku La area of North Sikkim on 20 January 2021 and the same was resolved by local commanders as per established protocols,” the Indian army said in a statement.

Earlier, government sources in New Delhi informed the media on Monday that the clashes took place three days ago at Naku La in Sikkim sector, and scores of soldiers from both sides were reportedly injured.

“Indian and Chinese soldiers clashed at Naku La in the north-eastern Indian state of Sikkim three days ago. Chinese patrolling soldiers tried to enter Indian territory but were stopped by the Indian Army. In the ensuing brawl both Indian and Chinese soldiers [were] injured,” government sources added.

This is the second such clash in Naku La after May last year. Naku La is considered as settled boundary between the two countries.

According to the latest update, there have been no fresh clashes but the situation remains volatile. The Chinese side has yet to comment on these claims, and confirm or deny injuries.

This development comes as the two countries have been involved in efforts to solve the border standoff for months with the top commanders of the two armies holding the ninth round of talks on Sunday. The latest round is said to have been inconclusive.

Sputnik

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here