YEREVAN, NOVEMBER 10, ARMENPRESS. Armenia has made a proposal to demilitarize the Armenian-Azerbaijani border. The Armenian side has proposed to pull back troops from the border reestablished in 1991, by creating a 3 km demilitarized zone on both sides of the border, Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan said in a statement during the Cabinet meeting today.
“This proposal is still in force, and yesterday we have handed over this updated version to Azerbaijan. In any case I want to emphasize that the Azerbaijani armed forces must withdraw from all occupied parts of the sovereign territory of Armenia, and our position will never and in no way change”, the PM said.
He said Azerbaijan is trying to retrospectively justify the aggression of May, November last year, of September 13, 2022 against Armenia, the occupation of territories, the shelling of 36 settlements located on the sovereign territory of Armenia, including Goris, Jermuk, Vardenis, Kapan, Geghamasar, the displacement of 7600 civilians, including 1437 children, 99 disabled people, the targeting of 193 residential houses, 3 hotels, 2 schools and one medical facility, the killing of 211 Armenians, including 3 civilians, the extrajudicial executions of at least 11 prisoners of war, including the tortures of the bodies of female servicemen.
Pashinyan said all these cannot have a justification, and all calls for holding the perpetrators of these crimes accountable are definitely and unequivocally fair.