YEREVAN, July 21. /ARKA/. Baku’s aggressive statements have shown that it’s not the authorities that should prepare their people for peace, but the people of Azerbaijan should prepare their authorities for peace, said Anna Naghdalyan, spokesperson for the Armenian foreign ministry, answering Kommersant’s questions about whether it’s possible to say that the Karabakh settlement has been thrown back.
In particular, she noted that yet in 2016, Azerbaijan has stricken heavily at the peace process, the consequences of which were not completely eliminated.
“Over the past two years, we have recorded certain positive shifts: the rate of violations of the ceasefire has decreased, an agreement was reached on preparing peoples for peace, the first step towards the implementation of which was a project on the exchange of journalists,” Naghdalyan said.
She noted that over the past months, hateful rhetoric and threats from the leadership of Azerbaijan, bellicose statements, amid which the last escalation of tension took place, returned the peace process to April 2016.
Answering the question whether there will be further discussion of humanitarian exchanges, the press secretary of the Armenian foreign ministry said that an agreement had been reached earlier on preparing peoples for peace.
“However, recent events and aggressive statements by the Azerbaijani leadership have demonstrated that the Azerbaijani authorities should not prepare the people, but rather the opposite – the Azerbaijani people should prepare their authorities for peace,” Naghdalyan said.
About escalation of tension on Armenian-Azerbaijani border
Since July 12, the Azerbaijani Armed Forces have been carrying out aggressive actions against Armenia in the north-east direction of the Armenian-Azerbaijani state border. The enemy attempted to violate the state border in the Tavush region of Armenia using a tank, mortars, howitzers, drones and Grad MLRS.
The shelling targeted Armenian strongholds, several villages and the city of Berd. After the lull of July 15, on the night of July 16, Azerbaijan troops again attempted raids in the Aygepara section, but after suffering numerous losses, they was thrown back, continuing shelling of the settlements.
The Armenian Armed Forces is providing a proportionate response to periodic shelling and suppressing the enemy’s activity. For the entire period, the air defense units of the Armenian army destroyed Azerbaijan’s control system of UAVs, 13 drones, a tank and artillery batteries.
According to preliminary data, as of Thursday, 36 soldiers were injured as a result of attacks on Armenian strongholds (16 of them were light abrasions, 20 were hospitalized and received medical care, one was in serious condition), 4 soldiers were killed and 6 cars were damaged. As a result of shelling of peaceful settlements in Tavush, 24 houses, a brandy factory and a winery, a kindergarten, a cemetery, 4 cars, a water main, a gas pipeline and a greenhouse were damaged, as well as a police checkpoint, in which 2 police officers were injured. In addition, one civilian was also wounded. Azerbaijan officially confirmed the death of 11 servicemen, the Armenian side reported the death of at least 10 more Azerbaijani special service officers. -0—