The judge leading investigations into last year’s Beirut port blast was forced to stop work Thursday over a lawsuit filed by an ex-minister he had summoned for interrogation.
Tarek Bitar was informed of a “lawsuit submitted by former public works minister Youssef Fenianos… which forced him to pause the probe until a ruling is issued,” a court official told AFP on condition of anonymity.
It is the third time that Bitar has had to suspend his probe in the face of lawsuits filed by former ministers suspected of negligence over the August 2020 explosion.
The total number of lawsuits filed against Bitar now stands at 15, according to judicial sources.
Similar temporary suspensions have plagued the course of the probe over the past weeks but previous cases to remove the judge have been turned down.
But in a sign that the suspension may be prolonged, the court asked Bitar to hand over the details of the case to enable it to review the lawsuit, according to a copy of the decision seen by The Associated Press.
The latest comes amid a campaign led by Hizbullah demanding Bitar’s replacement over allegations of “bias” that have been widely dismissed by rights groups and families of blast victims.
Hizbullah’s representatives in government have said they will boycott Cabinet meetings until it takes a clear stand on demands to replace Bitar.
The Cabinet, as a result, has failed to hold a single session in three weeks.
Prime Minister Najib Miqati on Thursday condemned attempts to force his government to intervene in judicial affairs, in a thinly veiled criticism of Hizbullah.
“We have tried as much as possible to keep the Beirut blast probe under the purview of the judiciary and we have rejected any kind of (political) interference,” Miqati told a news conference.
Human rights groups and victims’ relatives fear the repeated suspensions are a prelude to Bitar’s removal, which would further derail the official inquiry into Lebanon’s worst peace-time tragedy.
Bitar’s predecessor, Fadi Sawwan, was forced to suspend his probe for the same reason before he was finally removed in February, in a move widely condemned as political interference.