YEREVAN, July 7. /ARKA/. Some 750 residents of Artsakh (Nagorno-Karabakh) had been killed during last autumn’s 44-day war unleashed by Azerbaijan, Artsakh human rights defender Gegham Stepanyan said today in a Facebook post.
According to him, 81 of the killed residents were civilians. Forty-two of them were killed as a result of the artillery shelling, bombing, by sabotage groups, and another 39 as a result of physical violence, stabbing and beheading.
Gasparyan said also that 163 civilians were wounded. He added that there is no yet concrete information about the wounded soldiers. He also said that 85 residents of Artsakh are considered missing, of whom 23 are civilians.
A few weeks ago, Armenia’s Acting Prime Minister Nikola Pashinyan said the death toll from the war in Artsakh in autumn 2020 was 3,705 people; 268 people are considered missing. According to him, 60 people are held captive in Azerbaijan, but there are suspicions that their real number is over 100.
On September 27, 2020, Azerbaijani armed forces, backed by Turkey and foreign mercenaries and terrorists, attacked Nagorno-Karabakh along the entire front line using rocket and artillery weapons, heavy armored vehicles, military aircraft and prohibited types of weapons such as cluster bombs and phosphorus weapons.
After 44 days of the war, on November 9, the leaders of Russia, Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a statement on the cessation of all hostilities. According to the document, the town of Shushi, the districts of Agdam, Kelbajar and Lachin were handed over to Azerbaijan, with the exception of a 5-kilometer corridor connecting Karabakh with Armenia.
A Russian peacekeeping contingent was deployed along the contact line in Karabakh and along the Lachin corridor.