Above, a satellite photo taken on Nov. 1, 2020 shows a newly constructed Chinese village in an area along the disputed India-China border. (Planet Labs via AFP)
- Accord reached after several rounds of talks between military commanders and diplomats
NEW DELHI: India and China have agreed to disengage troops from a bitterly contested lake area in the western Himalayas, the Indian defense minister said on Thursday, in a breakthrough after a months-long standoff on the disputed border.
Rajnath Singh told parliament the accord had been reached after several rounds of talks between military commanders and diplomats.
“Our sustained talks with China have led to agreement on disengagement on the north and south banks of the Pangong lake,” he said.