The violence erupted after court turned down to replace judge investigating Beirut explosion probe over accusations of ‘bias’
By Adam Chamseddine in Beirut
Residents in Lebanon‘s capital Beirut struggled to escape their homes and evacuate family members on Thursday, as violence broke out during a protest demanding the removal of the judge investigating last year’s massive port explosion.
At least six people were killed, including a 24-year-old woman hit by a stray bullet while inside her home, some reportedly by sniper fire.
Some 30 people were wounded after hundreds of protesters gathered by the Palace of Justice to demand the removal of Judge Tarek Bitar, and were reportedly scattered by sniper fire, followed by gunfire from men in black crouching behind dumpsters.
Bitar, who has been investigating the explosion that killed more than 200 people in the capital last August, is seen by some relatives of the victims as independent but is accused by others, including the Amal and Hezbollah parties, of being biased.
Tayouneh-Badaro, an area near the palace, saw tank deployments and deadly exchanges of fire as ambulances rushed the wounded through deserted streets.
Children in nearby schools reportedly hid under desks and gathered on the floor outside their classrooms.
Local residents told Middle East Eye that they were desperate to get their families away from the fighting, putting themselves in danger in the process.
“No one was able to extract my family, the army advised me not to risk my life, as bullets and sniper rounds were raining on the building, but I had to save them,” said Bahij el-Dana.
El-Dana rushed home from work to find his wife and kids hiding in the bathroom. He said he was able to get them out as well as his nephews who live in the same building. “But I couldn’t extract my mother and father,” he said.
The scene, he said, reminded him of when his mother used to protect him and his brothers the same way during the civil war.
Fighters from Hezbollah and Amal movements take aim during clashes in the area of Tayouneh, in the southern suburb of the capital Beirut, on Thursday (AFP)
Abdullah, who declined to give his last name, told MEE that the building where he lives in the Tayoune neighbourhood had been surrounded by gunfights for nearly three hours. Abdullah’s family and five others, he said, waited out the fighting in the basement.
Nearby, he said, bullets and RPG rained on a building, which is thought to be hosting gunmen.
“After several calls of help and after contacting several media outlets, civil defence members were able to reach the surrounded families and evacuate us to a safer area,” he said.
Youssef Mallah, a civil defence member, told MEE that the civil defence teams had so far been able to evacuate 35 people from the area where heavy fire was still underway.
“We had to risk our own lives under fire to extract the elderly, we couldn’t wait for the shooting to stop as we were hearing the cry of help coming from the targeted buildings,” Mallah said.
Some residents, however, refused to be removed because they feared they would be shot, he said.
Calls for calm
In a statement, the army said it had rushed to cordon off the area and deploy forces into neighbourhoods. “Patrols started as did the search for the shooters to detain them,” the army said.
In a follow-up statement, the army warned it would open fire at anyone firing live rounds, calling on civilians to evacuate the area.
Prime Minister Najib Mikati called for calm to be restored and warned against attempts to drag Lebanon into violence.
Earlier on Thursday, the Court of Cassation decided that Bitar would stay in his position as the head of the investigation, following lawsuits filed by two former ministers summoned by the judge on suspicion of criminal negligence.
“Bitar does not fall under the court’s jurisdiction so it does not have the authority to consider requests for his dismissal,” a court official told AFP.
The decision allows Bitar to continue the probe into the 4 August 2020 explosion.
Hezbollah chief Hasan Nasrallah on Monday called for replacing Bitar with an “honest” judge.
Senior Amal movement leader Ali Hassan Khalil threatened a “political escalation” if the course of the investigation “was not rectified” after Bitar on Tuesday issued an arrest warrant against him for failing to show up for questioning.
Tensions spilled into a cabinet meeting on Tuesday ending in a row as ministers affiliated with Hezbollah and Amal pressed the government to support their demand to replace Bitar.
Middle East Eye