The United States earlier accused Iran of launching a medium-range ballistic missile capable of carrying multiple warheads, despite the fact that the UN Security Council’s resolutions and the Iran nuclear deal ban Tehran from any activities related to the development of ballistic missiles.
A senior Iranian military official confirmed that Tehran test-fired a medium range ballistic missile on December 1, a move that sparked outrage from Washington, London, and Paris.
“We are continuing our missile tests and this recent one was a significant test,” Revolutionary Guards aerospace commander Brigadier General Amirali Hajizadeh said on Tuesday, as cited by the Fars news agency.
His statemen came after Secretary of State Mike Pompeo claimed on December 1 that Tehran had carried out a test of a medium range ballistic missile capable of carrying mulptiple warheads, which can hit “parts of Europe and anywhere in the Middle East”, and called on Iran to stop reported activities.
US Special Envoy for Iran Brian Hook urged the European Union to slap sanctionson the the Islamic Republic. He went on to blame Iran for allegedly supplying the missiles to ‘its proxy forces’ in Yemen, Lebanon and eslewhere in a bid to destabilise the whole region.
Tehran has insisted that it is in full compliance with the 2015 nuclear agreement, and that it has never planned to make missiles capable of carrying nuclear warheads. A spokesman for Iran’s Foreign Ministry said that the reported missile missile tests were aimed at ensuring the country’s defence. Earlier this month, Iranian Armed Forces spokesman Abolfazl Shekarchi said that the military would continue its missile testingwithout asking any other countries for permission.