- Former Chelsea manager takes over after Nuno sacked
- Conte has contract to 2023 with option to extend
Antonio Conte at Tottenham’s training ground after taking over as manager. Photograph: Tottenham Hotspur FC/Getty Images
The Guardian-Guardian sport
Antonio Conte has been confirmed as Tottenham’s new manager on a contract to June 2023, with an option to extend. The Italian, who won the Premier League with Chelsea in 2017, replaces Nuno Espírito Santo, who was sacked on Monday.
Talks with Conte opened on Saturday after Spurs were beaten 3-0 by Manchester United and have been overseen by the managing director of football, Fabio Paratici, who had a successful spell with his Italian compatriot at Juventus from 2011-14.
Conte, who won Serie A with Internazionale last season, has been offered assurances, including over transfers, that convinced him to take the job five months after he turned down the club’s offer to replace José Mourinho. Nuno was appointed a few weeks later but has been dismissed after 17 matches.
“I am extremely happy to return to coaching, and to do so at a Premier League club that has the ambition to be a protagonist again,” Conte said. “Tottenham Hotspur has state-of-the-art facilities and one of the best stadiums in the world.
“I can’t wait to start working to convey to the team and the fans the passion, mentality and determination that have always distinguished me, as a player and as a coach.
“Last summer our union did not happen because the end of my relationship with Inter was still too recent and emotionally too involved with the end of the season, so I felt that it wasn’t yet the right time to return to coaching. But the contagious enthusiasm and determination of Daniel Levy in wanting to entrust me with this task had already hit the mark. Now that the opportunity has returned, I have chosen to take it with great conviction.”
Tottenham play at home to Vitesse in the Europa Conference League on Thursday and are at Everton in the Premier League on Sunday. They are ninth after five defeats in their opening 10 league games.
Paratici said: “We are delighted to welcome Antonio to the club. His track record speaks for itself, with vast experience and trophies in both Italy and England. I know first-hand the qualities Antonio can bring to us, having worked with him at Juventus, and look forward to seeing his work with our talented group of players.”