Turkey is determined to continue its fight against terrorism, the country’s presidential aide said on Dec. 24.
Kalın’s remarks came after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Dec. 23 attacked the Turkish president over Turkey‘s counter-terror operation and Cyprus issues on Twitter.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan responded to Netanyahu’s tweet, saying Israeli prime minister is heading “state terror.”
Turkish presidential spokesman described as “historic” the Dec.14 telephone call between Erdoğan and U.S. President Donald Trump that led to Washington’s decision to withdraw forces from Syria.
Kalın said the U.S.’s decision came as a result of the Turkish president’s convincing arguments over the phone with Trump.
He said that Erdoğan told Trump “loud and clear” that Turkey and the U.S. do not need PYD/YPG to fight ISIL, two groups in Syria that Ankara lists as terrorist organizations.
Turkish soldiers are to remain in Syria’s Idlib for security and stability of the region, the presidential aide added.
“There is no step back, weakness, halt, or slowdown in the fight against Daesh terror group,” Kalın added.
Last week, Trump made the surprise announcement that the U.S. would withdraw its troops from Syria, following a phone call with Erdoğan in which the two leaders agreed on the need for more effective coordination over the war-torn country.
Reports have suggested U.S. forces will leave within 60 to 100 days.