Turkey’s official COVID-19 death toll rose by 23 to 4,692 on Sunday as the country wraps its first curfew-free weekend in almost two months.
A total of 914 people tested positive out of 35,335 COVID-19 conducted tests in the past 24 hours, during which time 2,647 people recovered from the coronavirus, Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said in his daily update on Twitter.
Turkey’s cases reached 170,132 on Sunday, but Koca said on Saturday 80 percent of total confirmed cases had recovered since the country recorded its first patient on March 11, almost three months ago.
The latest data brings Turkey’s rank to 11th place in the world for contagion, but the country began easing pandemic measures earlier this month after recording a downward trajectory in both deaths and cases. Officials claim Turkey is well prepared to stave-off a second wave of the virus.
On June 1, restaurants, cafes and parks began opening their doors after weeks of closure.
On Friday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan cancelled weekend curfew from June 6 to June 7 in 15 major provinces, citing social and economic consequences for the imposition.