A Turkish observation post in Syria’s Idlib region was attacked with mortar fire and shelling from an area controlled by Syrian government forces and it was retaliated with heavy weapons, Turkish Defense Ministry said on June 16.
The “deliberate” attack from Idlib region’s Tall Bazan area to the Turkish post in Murak area caused damage but no casualties, the ministry said.
Turkey took “necessary initiatives” with Russia and the situation was being followed closely, according to the statement.
Although Turkey and Russia have agreed to stop acts of aggression and turn Idlib into a de-escalation zone, the Syrian regime has consistently violated the cease-fire, launching frequent attacks inside the de-escalation zone.
Syria has been locked in a vicious civil war since early 2011, when the Assad regime cracked down on pro-democracy protests.
Since then, hundreds of thousands of people have been killed and more than 10 million others displaced, according to UN officials.
Hurriyet Daily News