Wildfires are no longer threatening settlements in Turkey’s southwestern province of Muğla, home to the top tourist destinations of Bodrum and Marmaris, Turkish Agriculture and Forestry Minister Bekir Pakdemirli said on Sunday.
“The situation in Muğla, where we have been struggling with fires since July 29, is improving,” Pakdemirli said during a meeting on the wildfires, state-run Anadolu news agency reported.
The Yeniköy thermal power plant, a second power station endangered by the flames in Muğla, is now safe from the wildfires after a safety corridor was constructed between the facility and forest, Anadolu said, citing Transport and Infrastructure Minister Adil Karaismailoğlu.
Turkey has been battling devastating blazes along and near its southern Mediterranean and Aegean coasts over the past two weeks. The fires have killed at least eight people and forced thousands to abandon their homes and businesses.
The Muğla province, along with a region east of the largest tourist hub of Antalya, has been among the most affected by the fires. Security forces evacuated several villages and other settlements threatened by the flames in Muğla’s inland Milas district and near Bodrum last week.
The air and land response to the ongoing fires continues, Pakdemirli said.
“We continue to battle the flames with a total of 15 aircraft, 9 UAVs, 1 unmanned aerial helicopter, 64 helicopters, 850 water tankers, 150 pieces of construction equipment and 5,250 personnel,” he said.