- Tice’s family has launched several appeals for information about his whereabouts, saying they believe he is still alive
- The US announced it is offering a reward of $1 million for information about Tice
WASHINGTON: Family and supporters of missing US journalist Austin Tice on Tuesday will mark six years since his disappearance in Syria amid ongoing uncertainty about his whereabouts or condition.
Tice’s parents are scheduled to appear at a National Press Club exhibit opening featuring Tice’s photographs from Syria.
“It’s a really important thing for people to see the work that journalists risk their lives for in conflict zones,” said Margaux Ewen, North America director for the media rights group Reporters Without Borders, which is working with the Tice family.
There has been little information made public about Tice, a freelance journalist working for McClatchy News, The Washington Post, CBS, AFP and other news organizations, who was detained at a checkpoint near Damascus on August 14, 2012.
The photojournalist was seen in a September 2012 video, but it remained unclear whether he was being held by militants, government forces or others.
Tice’s family has launched several appeals for information about his whereabouts, saying they believe he is still alive.
Earlier this year, the United States announced it is offering a reward of $1 million for information about Tice.
Ewen said Tice’s photos would be part of a traveling exhibit that would help raise awareness of his captivity.
Scheduled to attend the opening Tuesday were the journalist’s parents Marc and Debra Tice, Washington Post publisher Fred Ryan and National Press Club executive director Bill McCarren.